Reporting to the Operations Manager, the Biogas Operator performs skilled work that is necessary in operating an anaerobic digester, gas conditioning skid, associated digester and upgrader plant equipment. The facility is composed of a digester, pumps, gas blowers, compressors, oxygen generators, condensers, chillers, and related auxiliary equipment.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Adheres to, and has full working knowledge of, the company safety program. Will have limited oversight responsibility for outside maintenance contractors to ensure that they are working in a safe manner. Communicates with all personnel to stress the importance of a safe work environment. Required to isolate equipment following proper Lock-out Tag-Out procedures.
- Demonstrates knowledge of and supports the plant safety, health, and environmental programs in all activities. Contributes to incident investigations to reduce recurrence of accidents/incidents.
- Supports and promotes the philosophy of maintaining an accident/incident free workplace.
- Assist and support outside contractors with maintenance onsite maintenance such as media change-outs, large equipment overhauls, and vacuum removal of solids from digesters.
- Monitor gas production of anaerobic digesters with a focus on O2 and H2S concentration.
- Complete daily rounds of plant equipment and capture fluid temps, pressures, oil levels, gas concentrations, process flows. Check equipment for proper operation looking for excessive vibration, fluid leaks and any conditions needing further attention. Accurately record all plant operational parameters and respond to unsatisfactory trends.
- Operate plant equipment including the pumps, blowers, and other related auxiliary equipment in accordance with manufacturer recommendation and established company policy.
- Participate in plant housekeeping programs and material handling safety activities to ensure safe working conditions.
- Participate in the planning and execution of preventative maintenance activities.
- Write work orders on work management software to track repairs and scheduled maintenance
- Assist in writing Standard Operating Procedures and Energy Isolation Procedures
- Valid driver’s license and ability to operate a motor vehicle is required.
- Will be required to regularly lift, move, and/or push objects weighing up to 50 lbs.
- Maintenance and operating experience in an industrial or gas processing environment.
- Operational experience may be supplemented with military experience or training in a related field.
- A relevant background in safety procedures/practices.
- Able to quickly respond to rapidly changing conditions.
- Ability to read, write and understand English is required.
- Ability to read and understand mechanical and electrical drawings.
- Ability to analyze and interpret data and to make sound recommendations on plant conditions.
- Fundamental proficiency in Windows-based applications (Outlook, Word, and Excel) on a PC or tablet required.
- Work locations are industrial and agricultural, primarily outdoors.
- Limited exposure to hazardous materials and/or toxic fumes will require the use of approved personal protective equipment. Regular exposure to heat, noise, flammable materials, rotating equipment, and other conditions normally encountered in an industrial environment should be expected. Vanguard Renewables will ensure all applicable work rules and safety requirements are closely adhered to.
Vanguard Renewables is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to a work environment that supports, inspires, and respects all individuals and in which personnel processes are merit-based and applied without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, disability, national or ethnic origin, military service status, citizenship, or other protected characteristic.
Vanguard has a vaccine mandate in place for all employees and an Offer of Employment is conditional based on your ability to provide written documentation that you have been fully vaccinated for COVID.