All Codigestion Projects
Haverhill, MA – Crescent Farm
Crescent Farm in Haverhill, Massachusetts is taking huge steps to increase farm sustainability and enhance relationships with their community by hosting a Vanguard Renewables Farm Powered anaerobic digester at the farm.
- 650 acres of produce, pumpkins, gourds, hay, and corn
- Operated by third and fourth generations of the Davidowicz family
- Raises dairy cows, goats, sheep, ducks, and rabbits
- Farm activities include farm tours and special events
- Located in Haverhill, Massachusetts
- Constructed in 2018
- Annual digester inputs: 36,500 tons of food waste and 3,650 tons of manure
- Annual digester output Produces 8,000 MWh of renewable energy from a 1 MW engine. Offsets 1,000 tons of CO2 emissions
Approximately 3,650 tons of manure and 36,500 tons of food and beverage waste are combined annually in the Haverhill anaerobic digester. Methanogenic bacteria break down the manure and organics to produce biogas which powers a 1 MW engine to produce renewable electricity. The digestate material byproduct of the process is a highly potent, low-carbon liquid fertilizer used by the farm to reduce commercial chemical fertilizer use and increase crop yields.
The engine powered by the biogas produced in the Farm Powered anaerobic digester generates more than 8,000 MWh per year of renewable energy, which is provided via net metering credits to the City of Haverhill’s schools and public facilities.
Farm Benefits at a Glance
- Income diversification
- Odor reduction from replacing raw manure with odorless digestate
- Liquid, low-carbon fertilizer to increase crop yields and protect area soils
- Reduction in commercial fertilizer use